Sunday, May 31, 2009

Family Bike Ride

It's been awhile since we've done one, but we went on a family bike ride this afternoon. Nathan still uses training wheels, but he insists on actually riding his bike on bike rides instead of hanging with Benj in the trailer. One of my pedals has been broken so I haven't been on rides lately. This was the first family bike ride in awhile. Off we went. Seth took the lead with Joel, followed by me, then Nathan and Daddy bringing up the rear. Well, I suppose Benjamin truly was last as he chilled in the trailer having a snack and pouring his bottled water all over himself.

We set out on our usual route, but it became quickly apparent that we were going to have to go really slow to accomodate Nathan's speed. Mark eventually gave the go-ahead for the older boys and I to take off. Seth and Joel were thrilled to go as fast as possible. It amazes me how much faster they can go now as compared to last year when I got my bike. They really can ride circles around me.

We rode our route twice looking for Mark and the younger boys, but we didn't find them. So we headed home. They weren't there either so we jumped in the durango and went to find them. I figured Nathan had tired out and Mark was having to get them back somehow. I was wrong though. They just decided to go a different way. I turned the corner to see my little Natey, red-faced and smiling as he pedaled away. He just looked so big and so proud riding his little bike. He rode up to us so happy to see us. I asked him if he was up for riding his bike back home. He replied, "Yep indeed!" (That's his new phrase) So, I followed behind him down our street heading home. At first he was going slowly and I realized he was waiting for me to pass him. I yelled out the window, "Go Nate! Go as fast you can!!" With that, he gripped the handle bars, lowered his chest a little, and kicked it into high gear. His little legs pedaled so fast as he gave all he could give. As he pulled into our driveway and jumped off his bike he threw his hands in the air and said, "Yes, I won!!!"

It really was fun to be out there again with them. They ride their bikes all the time and I'm glad I can join them. I know it won't be long before we are a little trail of six bike riders heading through the neighborhood.

This picture wasn't taken today, but I thought it fit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was just telling Robert that I think it would be fun to do family bike rides...of course JOshua is the only one in the family with a bike, but details don't slow me down...