Around his second birthday he ate some crackers with wheat. He didn't break out. The next day he got into crackers again and did not have a problem. Our pediatrician told us he probably was no longer allergic to wheat so we could go ahead and let him have wheat. I was soooo happy. Wheat is in EVERYTHING so it just made it easier.
He wasn't tested again until he was 5 years old. That test showed he was no longer allergic to peanuts. We came home and fixed him a very yummy peanut butter and jelly sandwich. He was in heaven!
Joel never complains about things he can't have. Every now and then it might make him a little sad though. Not too long ago he asked if he would be able to eat ice cream when he grew up. I explained that we didn't know.
I began praying for the Lord to heal Joel of his milk allergy. He has such a good attitude about it and I just really wanted God to bless him in this way. Well, last week he had another allergy test since it's been a couple of years. When they administered the test on his back I saw all kinds of reactions begin to pop up. I stood there looking at his back wondering which ones were milk, eggs, cats, and dogs. Those are his big allergies.
The nurse came in at the half-way point to begin making note of the reactions. There was one that was a pretty good size. I thought it might be milk so I asked her. Turned out it was eggs. She then pointed to the milk spot and said, "Nope. There doesn't appear to be any reaction." I wanted to cry.
I texted Mark right away to tell him that it looked like Joel had outgrown his milk allergy. He responded that he wanted to cry too! I know it's hard to fully understand what this means, but after years of having to watch so diligently and closely guarding Joel it is a huge thing for our family. It's been sad seeing him have to eat a peppermint at a restaurant as his dessert while others get to chow down on some ice cream. And yet he didn't complain. I felt right away that a whole world literally opened up to Joel and honestly, to our family. There are so many recipes that I wouldn't make at home because Joel couldn't have them. And every time we go to a friend's house I have to make sure they understand what Joel can or can't have. This gives us a lot of freedom. Mostly, I am just so grateful for God's answered prayer. Joel knew we were praying and I know that was encouraging to him that the Lord would answer this prayer.
We took Joel out for his very first ice cream cone ever that night. He likes vanilla, but wasn't crazy about chocolate. I also made homemade pepperoni rolls over the weekend and he got to have cheese on his for the first time. He really liked it. It's fun seeing him discover these new tastes. His brothers were so excited by the news. There were cheers and high fives all around. Every time Joel gets to try something new they watch with anticipation wanting to know what his thinks. Seth has been somewhat of a bodyguard for Joel always making sure he didn't eat soemthing he was allergic to. As Nathan got old enough to understand he became protective, too, sometimes even telling ME something like "Mom, don't forget...Joel can't have cheese!" So, they have been sharing in the joy, too.
Here's a picture of Joel enjoying his first ice cream:
No comments:
Post a Comment