Saturday was an eventful day. I invited some ladies over to bake all day. It was so much fun! We had two Kitchen Aid mixers whirring beautifully, flour was everywhere, and yummy treats were coming out of the oven every half hour or so. It was truly a magnificent day!
The end of the day was winding down. Gretchen had stopped back by to pick up Bobby, who had stayed to play with Seth when all of a sudden we hear Seth say, "Uh, Mom. I'm hurt."
He came walking toward the kitchen holding his head. Mark was the first to intercept him and quickly placed his hand over his hand holding the wound. I ran to get ice. Mark said, "Hon, I don't think we need ice. We need a towel." I whirled around to see him wide-eyed looking from above Seth's head. Seth couldn't see his face. Mark removed his hand and immediately I saw blood pouring through Seth's fingers, down his arm onto the floor. I began grabbing towels and rushing them over. I was never panicky though. It's weird when one of the boys gets injured how I just kick into super calm mode. If they stub a toe or some other benign thing I seem be become a little dramatic, however, when it's serious I am able to totally hold it together. This is especially amazing to me since I am a bit squeamish about blood and cuts. Inside I feel like it's gross and awful, yet I manage to paint a smile across my face to reassure my child. That is truly only by the grace of God!
I handed Mark towels both wet and dry. He set about wiping away the blood so we could get to the actual wound. It turned out to be about a half inch long cut, but it pulled really open wide. I could see tissue inside. It was deep. During the blood cleaning Seth was standing up, but suddenly started to go limp. All the color drained from his face and he wouldn't open his eyes. We called his name and he would responded with a quiet grunt to let us know he was still with us. I knew he was about to faint. I used to faint often as a child so I know the tell-tale signs. Seth's managed to open his eyes, he looked at me and said, "Mom, I can't hear out of this ear." Yep, he was going to faint. I got a cool rag while Mark picked him up and carried him to the couch. We kept saying, "Seth, stay with us. Stay with us." Every time we called him he would give a little moan or grunt just so we would know he was still with us. He never actually fainted, thank the Lord. I think that would have wigged me out.
After a few minutes the color began to return to his face and we set about figuring out how to bandage his wound. It looked like it needed stitches to me. Mark said that a butterfly band aid should hold it together well enough so that's what we did.
So, emergency room trip averted, we all headed to bed. Seth got to sleep downstairs on the couch that night. Sunday afternoon we removed the bandage to check the healing and the two sides were already healing back together and scabbing a little bit. The spot has been really tender, but it's healing quite nicely. By the way, he was trying to play football in our entry way when he ran into the office door.
Awww, life is never dull when you have boys!!
No comments:
Post a Comment