Thursday, September 24, 2009

Letter from Seth

Today during school Seth had the assignment of writing a thank you note to someone. That was the assignment and I gave no other instruction. He had to decide who to write the letter to and what he was thanking them for. Here's what he wrote verbatim:

Dear Mom,

Thank you for being with me for my hole life. I love you so much. I wish I could be with you.

Love,
Seth

I asked him to clarify that last part. I wondered why he wished he could be with me because he is...well...with me. He said, "Well, I wish I could be with you when I'm grown. You know, when I have my own wife. I won't be with you then." I assured him that we would still spend time together even if we didn't live in the same house. He asked if we would still be living in this house. I told him I didn't know, but that I would imagine we wouldn't live far from here if we weren't living in this house. He said, "Mom, I want to live right down there" as he pointed down the street. I smiled and said, "Well, that'd be great." Inside, I just chuckled because I am so sure the conversation will be much different a few years down the road. It would give me great joy to have any and all of my boys live nearby, but I know better than to bet on it.

Here's a recent picture of my eldest son showing off his LEGO creation - a bass guitar:

No comments: