Friday, November 14, 2008

Crazy Lady Coming Through

The boys and I arrived at the hotel while Mark finished working. Instead of the hassle involved with taking all the boys to get a cart, taking the cart back to the van, loading up the cart, steering the cart while making sure I don't run over one of the boys, unloading the cart in the room, and returning the cart with all four children in tow, I opted for a less complicated method. Well...it seemed less complicated in theory.

The task seemed simple enough: 1 large suitcase, 1 small suitcase, a pack 'n play, lap top bag, small tote bag, a pillow, a few blankets, and four children. How hard could it be? This is where being married to an engineer messes with my mind. I begin to think things through logically, but my conclusion doesn't always seem so logical.

In my mind, I would pull the large suitcase with the pack 'n play on top, Seth would pull the smaller suitcase, and Joel would push Benjamin in the stroller. But that left my lap top bag, the tote bag, and the pillow and blankets. Then I had a better idea. I strapped the lap top bag to the suitcase, had the pack 'n play on top, and carried the tote bag on my shoulder. I decided to use the stroller to carry all the blankets and odds and ends. Surely, this was a stroke of genius. I pulled my big load with my left hand and held Benjamin's hand with my right. Seth pulled the smaller suitcase and Joel pushed the stroller. Nathan was the appointed elevator button pusher.

So, although I had a big load and full hands, I definitely felt in control of the situation. The boys all had their tasks and Benjamin is an excellent hand holder and walked right along with me. I was so proud of my solution for not getting a cart.

We came through the lobby with lots of stares. When I know people are looking at me probably thinking I'm crazy I usually just stay focused on the kids and not worry about what others think. We all walked along together to the elevators where Nathan did his job well. We always play a game of "which elevator is coming first" where we stand in front of the elevator that we think will open. It's usually great fun, but was a little difficult with all our luggage and lots of people around. I stayed calm and told the boys to just stay close to me. The elevator opened and there was a lady with a cart getting off. I reminded the boys to step back to let anyone on the elevator off before going on. During that time another elevator opened and I directed everyone that way. None of this was difficult, but I realized I probably looked like I was crazy to strangers who don't realize this is just my normal life.

There were probably ten people near the elevators and I just could feel their eyes. They were probably thinking I was absolutely crazy for walking through with all that stuff and four little children. The truth was I didn't feel overwhelmed in the slightest. I'm used to handling my guys and they are typically pretty trustworthy to listen to me especially when we are in a situation like that when I need them to do exactly as I say. The people standing by stood still staring at us. One woman literally had her mouth hung open in disbelief-not in a rude way, but just in a "well, you don't see this everyday" kind of way. It was as if every single person there in that space wanted to offer help, but at the same time were wondering how I was going to handle all of this!

I told the older boys to push the "door open" button as they got in the elevator to hold the door. This is an important button to teach early in life (ask me how I know). Seth and Joel got on first followed by Nathan. I led Benjamin into the elevator told our button pusher Nathan to push #3. As the doors were closing I heard a woman say "Oh my. That makes me tired just to watch." If that had been all I heard I probably would have felt as I often do...that people think we are crazy and that I'm probably an overwhelmed, frazzled mom. But right before the doors closed I heard another woman's response, "Oh, but she just looked so calm!"

I must admit that just that one little sentence from a stranger made my night! I so often hear things like "Oh my...four boys!" like it's a plague or something. I also hear "Wow! Your hands sure are full!!" And these comments come at all times whether we look busy or the boys are well behaved or whatever. People just see me with four boys and for some reason feel the need to comment. To be fair, I am often stopped by older ladies that just ooh and ahh over the boys and tell me how blessed I am. I appreciate these comments!

Anyway, I guess it's funny to me that people assume I'm overwhelmed by my life. There are moments I am, but even tonight with lugging all that stuff and keeping up with the boys I did not feel overwhelmed. Although even I can understand that we were quite a sight! In retrospect it might have been a little less crazy looking to have just messed with a cart. Ironically, that probably would have overwhelmed me!

I mean, hey, if I didn't do things the hard way I wouldn't be me!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yea for crazy ladies!!!! Thankfully there seem to be more of us around in our generation. Check out my friend Kelly's post from today too.
http://torgusborg.blogspot.com/

Gretch said...

I had to laugh, because I could picture you doing this in my mind. You have much more patience than I would have. If it had been me, my oldest would have gotten on the wrong elevator alone, my middle one would have pushed each button for every floor so that he could time how long it took to go to each floor, little girl would have been too scared to get onto the elevator and my youngest would be throwing a tantrum because he was not the one who pushed every elevator button! You are the ultimate mom... I bow down before you!