Thursday, April 2, 2009

Crib, No More

I feel heavy hearted tonight. For the first time in 8 long years we have no use for a crib. We took down Benjamin's crib tonight and moved him into a toddler bed. As I watched Mark disassemble the crib I found myself feeling emotional about it. How did I come to have a house full of boys and no babies? Benjamin has grown so much faster than even Nathan. In fact, we put the high chair away in the garage this week because Benjamin wants to only sit in a booster seat at the table like a big boy. So, with the crib down and the high chair gone we are officially done with all of our baby stuff. The crib has a home for Gretchen's daughter who is due to arrive soon and I am passing along the high chair to a friend, too.

I'm not sad about not having more babies because the reality is that there may be another little Fecci someday. I have peace about our family and all these wonderful little boys the Lord has given us. It just feels like a very real transition over to raising our children instead of having them. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's how I feel.

Seeing Benjamin grow and change is a good thing. He was so excited when he saw his new bed. For the past two months when we say it's bedtime he runs to either Seth's or Nathan's bed and climbs in. It's so sweet. We'll let him lay there while we read and pray, but then it's in his crib he goes. So tonight when he got to be in his very own big boy bed he was just so happy!

And that does make my heart glad even if I stop for a minute and shed a tear for the passing of an era.

No comments: