Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Home Skool Room

Ahhhh, humility. It's such a great thing. : ) This weekend the boys had fun making signs for all the upstairs doors. Seth wrote out "Seth and Benjamin's Room" for his door, "Joel and Nathan's Room" for their door, etc. A few minutes ago while sitting in our homeschool room Nathan held up a sign that read "Home skool room". The image of the controversial t-shirt at Target that read "I'm home skooled" immediately came to mind. I have a sense of humor about such things so I wasn't offended by the t-shirt, but I know there was a big hub-bub about it that eventually got the t-shirt pulled from the store.

It's certainly not the first word Seth has spelled incorrectly and undoubtedly won't be the last. However, it bruised my ego a little that he wrote that word wrong. Of all things! I'll be the first to admit that it was pretty funny. Even I can see that, despite the feeling of inadequacy that sometimes comes with being a homeschool teacher.

When I pointed out the misspelling, Seth chuckled and shrugged. He has a tendency to be hard on himself and doesn't really like to make mistakes. So I was proud of him for taking that in stride. And I know he won't mind one extra spelling word this week. : )

1 comment:

Gretch said...

How funny, yes, our kids know how to humble us don't they? Or could that be God working through them? Well, from one home-skooling mom to another, I feel you!
Gretchen