Thursday night I had a girls' night out. Kippi, Gretchen and I went and listened to Lisa Whelchel speak at a church here. It was a big church, but not a huge crowd. We were only about 8 rows from the front and pretty close to center so we had great seats! When Lisa came on stage it took me a minute to really see Lisa and not Blaire all grown up!
She is an amazing speaker and I felt like I was just listening to a friend share some experiences and some wisdom. She was so funny, witty, and truly captivating as she told stories. She talked about how we all have a story to tell and a legacy to leave. It was amazing and inspiring how she shared experiences in her life where God showed Himself in a powerful way.
As she spoke I sat there thinking just how ordinary she really is. In this day and age celebrities are often seen as super human or something. Somehow their fame makes them more important or better. At least that's the way it seems in society. I know that we are loved the same in the eyes of God. We are all seen as precious children in His sight, none is better than the other. I must admit I was a little star struck watching Lisa speak. It wasn't because she played a character on a tv show I liked when I was a kid though. I admire her for the journey she is on as a Christian woman, a homeschooling mom, a devoted wife, and an encourager extraordinaire. The books I have read of hers have inspired me to strive for better. Her words have encouraged me like a mentor.
So as I listened to her speak I felt refreshed and inspired. She so clearly loves the Lord and she loves people. I really felt like I was just watching someone I already knew speak from their heart about things that matter to them. She was sincere and warm, friendly, and entertaining. She encouraged all of us to be writing our stories for our children and family. I thought it especially poignant considering I just started this blog. I want to remember these things that I write about. I know I'll forget if I don't.
After Lisa was finished speaking she headed out to the lobby where they were serving coffee and dessert. I would say there was probably less than 200 people at this event and probably about 100 stayed to visit and meet Lisa. I introduced myself to her and was so excited to tell her that the first book I ever read about homeschooling was hers! She told me that she is still homeschooling, too. She signed my copy of her new book called "Taking Care of the Me in Mommy", which is so appropriate considering I bought it while on a girls' night out with some dear friends.
And how's this for very cool...Lisa offered for anyone to take a picture with her to be posted on her website for us to download for free. And here it is:
Kippi, Gretchen and I all agreed that she was someone we'd love to just hang out with or have to dinner. Lisa is a gifted and talented, yet humble woman who uses her gifts in a beautiful way that points to the Lord. I was so blessed that night!
1 comment:
Wow!!! Wonderful picture!! And GIRL! I can totally tell the weight loss!!!! YOU GO!!!
Post a Comment