Monday, January 26, 2009

Could it be?

Is it really so? Could it be that Nathan is finally potty trained?!

This little boy has had a mind of his own since birth, I think. We set out to start potty training when Nathan was a little over two. The problem was that I was extremely pregnant with Benjamin so we put it off. Then Benjamin was born and I didn't want to put Nathan through too much transition at once. So we put it off some more.

I don't remember exactly when we started buying pull-ups, but it seems we've spent a small fortune on the overpriced diapers. He seemed to catch on to peeing rather quickly. It was the pooping that was a no-go from the beginning.

The child simply would.not.poop. I tried everything I could possibly think of to get him to go poop in the toilet. The huge problem was that he would stay dry all day and then wait until we put a pull-up at bedtime. He'd poop in it right away. He understood when he needed to go, but simply would NOT go in the toilet. We tried putting him back in pull-ups full time. He didn't care.

There have been times over the past year that I worked so hard with him trying to get him to understand it's just a simple act of life. Other times I completely let it go hoping he would do better if it was all his idea.

The whole thing has just been a quandry to me because I just don't understand why he wouldn't go. I did find online articles explaining that this is a pretty common thing. However, after successfully potty training two children without this issue I just didn't get it.

I guess Nathan needed to come to it on his own terms. And I never gave up trying to give him different reasons to go. I had a stroke of genius the other night. It was bedtime and I asked Nathan to try and go poop. He hadn't gone since the previous morning so I knew he needed to go. I sat with him in the bathroom and we just chatted while he tried. Suddenly I realized that one of the things that motivates Nathan is quality time. It's his love language. I realized that by sitting there with him he liked my company and would therefore not go. So I told him that I was going to leave, but if he could go then I would let him stay up late and he and I would have some special time together just us.

Wellll, that was just the motivation he needed. He pooped right after I left. We put everyone to bed and then he and I played the Wii, read a book, and played. The next night I told him if he would go then he could stay up again. He pooped right away. We stayed up and played. The third night we did the same thing.

Then yesterday, it happened. I was sitting here in the office at about 5 p.m. when I heard the most wonderful words..."Mooooom, I poooooooped!" He had gone into the bathroom all by himself and pooped. SUCCESS!!! I was so stinkin' proud of him we called Daddy to come look at his accompishment! We praised him big time, showered him with hugs, and gave the boy some much deserved chocolate!

Today, about 15 minutes ago he did it again. All by himself.

I knew he could do it, but he had to do it his way. I gave him some chocolate just now and handed one to Benjamin. I told Nathan that I wanted Benjamin to get a little taste of what he could earn for when it's time for him to potty train. Nathan said, "Mommy, I think he's too little for the big toilet, but he can use my little toilet!"

He's ready to pass the torch! Such a big boy!

No comments: