Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Gram

I've been thinking about my Gram recently. Maybe it's the holidays, maybe it's growing older, maybe it's seeing her in my mom. In any case she is on my heart and mind here lately.

I realized the other day that she didn't meet Nathan or Benjamin. She died when Joel was a baby and Seth was barely two years old. None of my children have memories of her that are their own. I talk about her and Papa and they see pictures. They know her in that sense, but it makes me sad that they didn't get to really know that amazing woman.

Gram encouraged me to take good care of my family. Making good meals and keeping a clean home were important to her. There are days when I feel I would make her proud. There are days I'm sure she'd shake her head at me. I remember early in my marriage calling her asking how to make certain dishes. She seemed to delight in passing along recipes. And she was always giving me cookbooks. I wonder what advice she'd be giving me now?

I miss her.

2 comments:

Bohanon Family said...

She was a very wonderful and special lady. What a blessing it was to know her and you are extremely blessed for having had such a wise and amazing woman to encourage you. Much love!

Unknown said...

I remember you lost her the same week I lost my Aunt Kathe. I miss her too and see so much of her in Leah.